Wednesday, October 1, 2014

MOOC 2 Response: Footprints

In “Digitally Speaking/Positive Footprints” I read a few similarities I’ve witnessed in my classroom. I have been sought after to teach students how to be good digital citizens, show them where NOT to go to search for online material, and show them accepted sites our district allows.

Ironically, using a Google classroom in my district is blocked! And, we have Google mail for all teachers and students! This could be a great place for students to collaborate and find similar interests. When I joined Google, I followed a community for crock pot meals! I know for a fact some students would find communities linked to John Green, or The Fault in Our Stars. It is quite popular these days.

Yet, as the articles suggests, society is finding ways to scare kids into being afraid of the web. One of the first questions a student asked me earlier this year when navigating to a website was, “Is this going to be blocked? I feel like everything is blocked!” It was not, however, I totally understood her frustration. I’m still reeling that we can not create communities for our classes at school. I know it is because the district is afraid of the same issues brought up in Ferriter’s article.

If teachers, administrators, students, and parents could be educated about how digital footprints are supposed to be ways to connect and interact in a positive fashion. These barriers could be taken down. I can only imagine how much more interactive, fun, and collaborative my class could be if I could set up communities. For now, I have started groups. They are not as interactive and collaborative as I would like them to be, but the students are protected by this idea that the communities are bad. Their safety, I agree, is utterly important. But, at what point do we as a society realize that we have to expose these students to the positive aspects of the internet and digital footprinting?

No comments:

Post a Comment