Friday, May 29, 2015

Formative Assessment Using Technology

I found this week's focus very helpful in regards to my future of teaching. I gained knowledge of tools that will assist me in assessing students and focusing my instruction while using technology. The Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment article by Kathy Dyer was useful. It's already saved in my "Favorites"!

From her list of tools I decided to investigate Google Forms as assessment. I enjoy anticipation guides as they are a precursor to the issues involved in the novel. However, it seems much easier, quicker, and environmentally-friendly to use the GF! In my Google presentation, I gave some tips on its effectiveness. I found that a google form is simple to create and can be manipulated to fit your needs. For example, if you wanted to have a short answer response or elaboration for one of the anticipation guide questions, that is possible. It would be even more useful in my classroom as I can show the results of the questions. This is much more effective than me hang kids raise their hand for every statement and asking, "Who said 'true' for number one?" Students would be able to discuss the ones where there was the most debate!

The idea of using Padlet and iBrainstorm were also discussed in Dyer's second article on The Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment. I found the activating Self and Peers section interesting and want to try Padlet! It reminded me that I had used and discussed Bubble US earlier this year and thought that Bubble US would be perfect for generating ideas. This is also very effective in helping students organize thoughts. I am always intrigued by how kids think because it is so different than adults! When it comes to organizing thoughts for an essay, many struggle with main ideas and which information supports what topic. If kids could utilize this tech tool, I could help them organize their thoughts, in real time, and save so much class and instructional time. This allows for less frustration and more productivity!

Over the years, one for the most consistent forms of comprehension, easily modified, useful tool I have ever used in a graphic organizer. In this ever-growing technological world, there is no need to desert this tool! I am sure you all know by now that I love Google! I thought I could make an interactive graphic organizer. If kids could all edit the same one, it could be very useful in checking for understanding, while also combining efforts of the entire class. Great modification tool as well!

I found I had similar thoughts as Paula Dillon on collecting and sorting data based on formative assessment. He stressed it was hard to organize it to impact instruction. until he began "experimenting with digital formative assessment." I am glad the year is ending but a little upset I don't have time to implement many of the tools I found this week. I feel as if this week's material will benefit not only my students next year, but also me as I found digital FA is just as effective and more engaging than what I have been doing!

Sources:

Dillon, Paula. (2013, January, 1). Reflections on the Digital Formative Assessment Options. Retrieved May 29, 2015, from http://www.sophia.org/tutorials/digital-formative-assessment

Dyer, K. (2013, July 15). Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment – Post One. Retrieved May 29, 2015, from https://www.nwea.org/blog/2013/digital-technology-tools-for-implementing-formative-assessment-post-one/

Dyer, K. (2013, July 22). Digital Technology Tools for Implementing Formative Assessment – Post Two. Retrieved May 29, 2015, from https://www.nwea.org/blog/2013/digital-technology-tools-for-implementing-formative-assessment-post-one/


No comments:

Post a Comment