Thursday, July 31, 2014

7714: NLP Week 3 blog: Guitar Challenges

Guitar progress. Guitar Blog post #3: Challenges

After watching numerous You tube videos, researching on Google, referencing my Google community; Guitar for Beginners, I’ve realized the guitar is harder than I originally anticipated. I tried playing numerous chords to begin by simply placing my fingers in the correct position, as seen in last week’s post. However, my hands just are not agreeing with my brain! I am having a hard time playing certain chords. So while I had visions of Sheryl Crow in my head a few weeks ago, I have reevaluated my skills and have decided to try to attack “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” as my first song on the guitar.

I am starting with single notes; E string. Previously, I was trying to play more complicated G chords and that was too hard to manipulate my fingers. Also, I was trying to play songs that were too challenging for me.

Just as in teaching; I am re-teaching, I suppose. I have to basically start over as far as teaching myself chords. The E-string is much more achievable than multiple string/chord songs for me. Also, I have found a video that models and allows for guided practice, if you will. This is the most helpful resource I have found so far to help me achieve my goal.

The following pictures are the finger placements needed to play the E-string for “Twinkle”. I feel this is much more achievable because they are all on the same string and the pace of the song is slower than the others I was attempting. I’m still working on my voice, but that’s extra credit!

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG


photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment