Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Reciprocating the "Change"


“Navigating the Cs of Change” by J. Gregory McVerry, Lisa Zawilinski and W. Ian O'Byrne had very interesting and applicable ideas in regards to an English classroom. So, of course, it was my favorite source to read! Reciprocal teaching is a strategy I’ve used before. Having students have certain roles and responsibilities that develop over time and eventually lead to a fruitful discussion of a topic is the goal. I usually use this to discuss articles or novels. However, it sounds much more interesting when presented in this article. I appreciate the idea that the roles of students are gradually introduced in the internet reciprocal teaching model. I see phase 2 and 3 being an area of challenge in my high school classroom, yet the most rewarding. It also screams, “Differentiation!” I think the “success” in the Collaboration and Student-Centered Learning phases developing and increasing throughout the school-year. It seems easier to document and show growth than the reciprocal teaching model I’ve followed in the past. Also, the internet RT model is pretty similar to online classroom models, which I’m sure our current students will experience in the future!
The “Navigating” article struck me as an example of the main idea of “Cornerstone of New Literacies Curriculum,” by John G. McVerry. “It (new literacies) is an examination of how digital tools allow us to express a sense of agency while negotiating meaning within different social contexts” (McVerry). This excerpt is explaining the goal in internet reciprocal teaching, and education in general; students owning their learning!

These new literacies are something that will take time to incorporate into a classroom on a regular basis, and even more time for students to become efficient in. I remember inputting reciprocal teaching many, many, many times before it became a somewhat effective tool. And the digital-age kids are used to being quick satisfaction. Patience, as with any technology, is a must for students and teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment